Tropical birds call through the rain forest as you step into the warm morning. Walk to the dining room and grab a cup of coffee, then relax and watch the light and the clouds dance across the Pacific Ocean. Spot scarlet macaws and toucans as you join your fellow travelers in the open-air restaurant. Breathe and open your heart to whatever might come today. After a home-cooked breakfast you set out for adventure. Today you will board a private river boat to photograph crocodiles, birds, sloths and more. Our local guides and professional photography instructors will insure that you make the most of the once-in-a-lifetime photo opportunities. Then it’s back to the resort for cocktail hour, where you will share your experience and photographs with your companions. After enjoying a farm-to-table dinner in the open-air dining room you will head back to your comfortable air conditioned room to recharge and prepare for a whole new experience tomorrow.
“It’s amazing what happens when we allow ourselves to slow down, be present, and enjoy our community and environment through laughter, connection, and travel.”
Travel can be a transformative experience, and Photography can be the language we use to share our story. Are you ready to move beyond your tools and focus on creating images that speak to you? Aperture, shutter speed, and ISO are important to understand, but they are only a means to an end.
This Creative Immersion retreat provides the opportunity and the guidance to explore inspiration, style, and vision with like-minded travelers in a unique environment. We will help you connect with nature in order to capture the essence of your experience and your subjects.
Photographer and instructor Rob Knight has designed this retreat to be different than your average Costa Rica tour. Of course you will visit beautiful locations, meet friendly local people, and see amazing wildlife, but Rob offers you the opportunity to go further.
This Creative Immersion Retreat offers all the benefits of organized group travel, with the freedom to have your own experience. Rob will work along side you to help you tap into your creativity. He wants to show you what can happen when you tune in to yourself and your environment to explore your personal style and vision.
A creative journey…
You’ll explore concepts such as deep nature connection, visual storytelling, mindful photography, and photographic intent. Use Costa Rica as a backdrop to engage your creative side while you explore your unique viewpoint. This tour is not just about philosophy. You will enjoy hands-on instruction, presentations, and demonstrations throughout the week. This is a retreat that you won’t want to miss. Reserve your cabin today!
This photography workshop was a great experience that provided numerous opportunities to learn more about photography and the local culture. Both the instructors and local guides are very knowledgeable and pointed out things that I would never have noticed on my own.Nicole Widmer
What’s Included: $2495 Per Person
6 nights lodging at Carara Costa Rica Ocean View Hotel
Meals: Breakfast each day, and four dinners*
All Transportation including airport transfers*
Daily Photography Instruction
Daily Excursions (see the complete itinerary below)
*Your Costa Rica photo workshop fee does not include airfare to San Jose, Costa Rica. Lunch each day and two dinners are the responsibility of the participants.
We strongly recommend you purchase comprehensive travel insurance in case of emergencies. Questions?
Use the form below to register. You will receive an email confirmation and payment instructions within 48hrs.
There was so many wonderful experiences it is hard to say which was my favorite. The expertise of our instructors was really made it. Nice to be able to ask questions while working instead of a traditional classroom setting.Anne Nettles
* We provide bus transportation from the airport in San Jose (SJO). Most flights from the US arrive around noon, and the bus leaves by 2:00 unless otherwise specified. Some guests prefer to fly into San Jose on Saturday and spend the night in case of any travel delays. Your return transportation to SJO airport is not included. Our guests leave at different times and many people extend their stay in Costa Rica after the workshop. Airport transportation can be arranged through the hotel once you arrive on Sunday. Cancellation Policy.
January 12-18, 2020
July 12-18, 2020
Tuition:$2495 per person
($600 single supplement)
Limit: 6 photographers
Register By: 1/31/2020
- A unique exploration of travel, creativity, and photography
- World-class Accommodations at Carara Costa Rica Hotel
- Farm-to-table meals (vegetarian, gluten free, and vegan options available upon request)
- Experienced professional photo instructors
- Knowledgable and friendly local guides
- “Off the beaten path” locations
- Cultural exchange with local people
- Make friends and connect with like-minded travelers
Photographer and trip leader • Olympus Workshop Partner • GNARBOX Pro • Tenba Visual Artist • Adobe Certified expert
A Mirrorless, DSLR, or point-and-shoot camera with interchangeable lenses. Please bring your camera manual.
A versatile mid-range zoom lens (18-55mm, 24-105mm, etc) is fine. You will also want a longer telephoto lens (something 400mm or longer is best) for shooting wildlife on the trip. A dedicated macro lens and a wide-angle zoom lens will also be handy.
For Micro 4/3 shooters, Rob recommends:
- Memory cards. We recommend 128GB of storage or more.
- Tripod. Rob uses Gitzo tripods.
- Hot-shoe flash
- Lens cleaning cloth or lens pen
- A good lightweight camera backpack like the Tenba Solstice is recommended.
- Laptop computer or tablet with Adobe Lightroom CC.
- Luminar 2018
- ProShow for slideshows
*free trials are available for all of the above software